Spring naar bijdragen

Start van big yeller

aw12345

Gave it a hell of a work out on the Hammer trails in the last 2 days.

Love them Pitbulls, for as much as we spun them, pinched them stuck them under rocks, smoked en and what ever other abuse we could think off the didn't really chunk, bite pretty darn well and in general take all the abuse you can dish out for them without any complaint.

The little girl took her licking without to much complaint the score for 2 days of hammering is a bend tierod, might make a skid/ armor plate for it, a barber poled drive shaft, but it's a thick tubed one so it didn't bother it, some seriously scratched up skidplates and the front diff cover is leaking more than when I started. any way this is what happens when you only have 21" of bellyclearance

big-yeller-2310.jpg

big-yeller-2312.jpg

big-yeller-2313.jpg

big-yeller-2315.jpg

big-yeller-2316.jpg

big-yeller-2317.jpg

big-yeller-2318.jpg

big-yeller-2319.jpg

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

Het was inderdaad geweldig op de Hammers! Gelukkig is onze stuurstok nog recht.......... We hebben het zwaar gehad , de kleinste banden van de groep van 7 autos, 5 Jeeps, een Toyota en een fantatische Buggy. Met 'slechts'35" MTR onder onze Rubicon verbleekten we wel een beetje naast de 39.5"van Aart en de 42" van Fred. [ ja, 42"onder een TJ ]

Maar ja, dan maar wat langzamer.....

Gelukkig weinig schade, een naaf uit elkaar geklapt en een gebroken Pittman-arm. Beiden niet bij ons.

Siert.

post-2175-0-28899800-1303613048_thumb.jp

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

Het was inderdaad geweldig op de Hammers! Gelukkig is onze stuurstok nog recht.......... We hebben het zwaar gehad , de kleinste banden van de groep van 7 autos, 5 Jeeps, een Toyota en een fantatische Buggy. Met 'slechts'35" MTR onder onze Rubicon verbleekten we wel een beetje naast de 39.5"van Aart en de 42" van Fred. [ ja, 42"onder een TJ ]

Maar ja, dan maar wat langzamer.....

Gelukkig weinig schade, een naaf uit elkaar geklapt en een gebroken Pittman-arm. Beiden niet bij ons.

Siert.

Siert, met 35" MTR's kom je toch een heel end en als je er maar plezier in hebt. You guys did good on this stuff, Ya'll Rock

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

Fairly productive day today, my buddy Fred, drilled and tapped another steering gear housing for me, thanks Fred. Then I ran over to the autoparts store and ordered a new seal kit for it, should be here tomorrow.

big-yeller-2320.jpg

Then ran over to a bolts place and sourced some bolts for the diff cover and a few big allen bolts to fudge around with the steering linkage some more, would be nice to get that higher up and out of harms way.

It will have to do for now though.

big-yeller-2321.jpg

The crossmember for the rear lower control arms, seems to flex, so I will beef that up before it's next outing in a few weeks.

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

Started messing with a few things today. First called king and discusses what to do to get the Jeep to sit 2" higher, so will swap some springs later this week. Then started messing with the rear crossmember and cut this piece for it, needs a bit more trimming and that can be welded in.

big-yeller-2322.jpg

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

Looks like I might end up with a Chevy astro van to part out, if that comes about then the Jeep will most likely sport a 4.3 V6 and a 4L60E before the summer is out. We will see where it goes. Yesterday swapped some of the springs around, now the back sits where I want it and will have to visit King Shocks on Monday for some beefier springs for the front.

This weekend , it's time to finish bracing the rear crossmember and get a handle on the steering

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

Tackled the steering and diff cover today, took a bit of work but, the steering gear is rebuilt and working the way it should.

Straightened the tierod, that thing started to look like a pretzel, had 4 different bends in it from the last round of trail fun. Didn't hurt the auxiliary ram any though. I guess this summer I'll get around to giving the Jeep a true high steer setup or something close to that.

Swapped the leaking diff cover and fixed the a few fuel vapor lines that had a small leak according to the OBD 2 system.

All that is left is a bit of welding tomorrow and sticking the belly skid back on and she is good for another round of hammering

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

Ja , ja ik moet weer aan de Hammers denken , als ik het zo lees , het waren een paar leuke dagen met jullie , maar zal pas weer volgend jaar worden , in oktober gaan we eerst naar Moab , dus Aart als je je eigen verveelt in Oktober..... (ik dacht iets van de 9 oktober dat we er waren , afhankelijk wat voor tickets we kunnen boeken)...

bewerkt door boris
Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got the front center limit strap in seems to help climbing steep stuff, also as a note to self, check and re torque the bolts on the beadlock rims you rub them on rocks enough they will spin loose. I was missing one and about 4 or 5 were loose, got them all torqued down again.

Other than that about the only maintenance so far has been letting air out of the tires. Damn I love this Jeep

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

• 2 weeks later...

Summerized my little Jeep and worked a bit more on the windshield frame for the big Jeep, looks like the frame is pretty much back to it's original size.

Will have to fit a windshield in there to see if it is. Gonna call the glass guy to sell me that 65 dollar windshield. Also with a bit of luck I might pick up a 6 speed trans for my baby

big-yeller-2327.jpg

big-yeller-2328.jpg

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

• 2 weeks later...

Mounted a rear view mirror on the rollcage and built me a cup holder for my water bottle.

On to some a dome light and some rock lights and I am ready for a knucklehead night run at the hammers

big-yeller-2330.jpg

big-yeller-2331.jpg

Working on the comfort part of my put put Jeep, made a little rack for my cooler.

big-yeller-2332.jpg

big-yeller-2333.jpg

Next is an interior light and some trail and rock lights, might even break down this long weekend and do some painting on various parts to make it all pretty

Found a nice strap to keep the cooler in place, got the dome light working and started doing a bit of rattle canning underneath

big-yeller-2334.jpg

big-yeller-2335.jpg

big-yeller-2336.jpg

big-yeller-2337.jpg

Tomorrow I am going to help a friend regear his dad's Jeep, after that the rest of the weekend will be spend painting some more odds and ends on my toy. Than it's on to wiring some driving and rock lights and stick the windshield in that I ordered from Percy's racing back East. The blemished windshields have a pretty good price on them

bewerkt door aw12345
Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was getting tired of straightening the tierod after a few runs so the Jeep went on blocks and the torch i9s coming out to resolve this situation. Notched the frame and the draglink sits on top of the steer arm. Now the radiator needs to move back a bit. Going to double sheer the drag link mount on the steer arm.

Raise the tierod close to 3 " make new steering ram brackets on the axle new spacers for the tierod. Move the trackbar around a bit, maybe built some kind of truss for the front axle . Will be a busy boy for awhile.

big-yeller-030.jpg

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

When you cut a frame like this make sure you turn the steering left and right, after I welded the insert in the frame I found that turning to the right would hit the frame sleeve, so some judicious grinding fixed that. Well first part is fixed. On to messing with the pitman arm and raising the tierod up

big-yeller-032335.jpg

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

Waar ik graag speel is het het beste om alles zo hoog moegelijk weg te werken en valt niet mee o, histeer en goeie suspension uptravel een werkelijk heid te maken met 4-5" lift. Met een week od 3 tot 4 zal alles op zijn plek zitten met the tie rod net onder de hi steer arms, the panhard stang weer netjes parralel met de stuurstang/draglink en de hulp cylinder ook een centimeter of 10 hoger. Voor ons is clearance een must te veel grote rots blokken in de weg :rolleyes:

Dit is zo een beetje waar ik de spoor stang will hebben, de rest van de bestuuring van seze Jeep zie ikniet zo zitten, maar de hoogte van se spoorstang is waar ik de mijne will hebben

Scotts-Jeep-002.jpg

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites