Spring naar bijdragen

Tinkertoy #2

aw12345

• 3 weeks later...

Spend some time yesterday and today, farting around with my buggy project.

Got the drivers side angled in like I wanted yesterday.

Today picked up a stick of 1.5' x 0.120 wall tubing to fix the back end.

Cut some crossmember pieces out and cut 2 old driveshafts so I can turn them into one that will fit the rear. Since the slip yoke is in the trans it's going to take a bit of doing to get the length right.

Now that I have room between the frame rails I can start thinking about a crossmember that will clear the rear driveshaft and braces the rear control arm frame mounts, actually going to try and tie this thing to the front lower control arms also. Will make for a nice base for the belly pan. Going to have to make it so I can run 2 exhaust pipes to the back and there is a good change that I will run 2 tubes to the back for a rear mount radiator.

Unless I can use a TJ radiator that I have, that one seems to fit better than the stock Nissan radiator. It will allow me to mount it higher so I can cut and raise the front of the frame for clearance for the steering ram and high steer.

weld004.jpg

weld007.jpg

weld005.jpg

weld006.jpg

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

Moving right along

weld.jpg

Was doing some brain storming and it looks like I am going to use 2 piece rear driveshaft. Will make me feel better about the slip yoke in the rear of the trans, it will also allow me to built a crossmember between the frame side rear control arm mounts and incorporate the intermediate driveshaft support bearing in it. Then use a regular driveshaft with a slip yoke for the rear shaft. That way I can for one keep the drive line angles at a reasonable.

level Nor have to worry as much about the yoke sliding in and out of the transmission.

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

Well today went from wood tinkering to steel tinkering.

First made wife's day, hung the new door she has been wanting for a while.

Planed and cut it to size last week, did a bit of fiddeling with it today and it fits like a glove.

door001.jpg

door002.jpg

Then rolled my buggy outside and started playing with some ideas for a driveshaft.

sylvestor005.jpg

Seems to me this will work, will allow a crossmember between the lower control arms and not restrict rear axle travel.

sylvestor006.jpg

Going to add a bit of tube to the rear cage also kinda like this from both sides

sylvestor007.jpg

Then get some more tube and bend it so the rear has a bottom, kinda like this

weld.jpg

Here is the rough bodywork on Tinkertoy's hood, it is somewhat back to it's original shape

sylvestor008.jpg

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

Great job on the door(impressing). Can't wait to see how the buggy works.

Neither can I' date=' I'll just keep pecking away at it and eventually it will be done.

By the way Curtis if you want a Hammer beater that has actually a fair amount of nice stuff in it, check this one out

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/3357426944.html Coilovers and stickies what more could you possibly want for that amount of money.

Anyway back to the scheduled program, got the crossmember tacked in now it needs some notching and French love so the primary drive shaft kind of runs through it, with a bit of work I should be able to get decent driveline angles, the thing is also [lenty stout to gusset the frame side control arm mounts too. Rear tube work is pretty much done, I am happy with it. Bottom of the frame is 24" of the ground and I am pretty happy with how it sits now and where the air shock travel is at.

[img']http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p289/aartw12345/buggy%20project/sylvestor011.jpg

sylvestor013.jpg

sylvestor014.jpg

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

Fiddled around with the rear suspension some, looks like that is going to live the way it is. Going to plug the numbers in and if that comes out as happy as it looks I'll leave that alone. Just going to truss the rear axle some and gusset the frame side mounts to the crossmember add a few more pieces of tube and the back should be officially done.

sylvestor055.jpg

sylvestor057.jpg

Next on the list is to mount the radiator and trans cooler. Then on to some bracing of the front tubing

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites