Spring naar bijdragen

Help met SYE install

AK47

Hello allemaal!

Ik heb een SYE gebracht toen ik in the US was voor werk deze zomer. Dit is een standard SYE voor de NP231 transfer case. Omdat mijn XJ is out 1994, ik moet the the needle bearing pressed out of the output shaft before I can install the SYE. Is dar iemand hier dat kan me helpen? I don't have a press in mijn garage. Ik kan de output shaft bij jou brengen of ik kan ook borrow the press and bring it back later. ( I can bring some beer :) Ik woon in Anderen.

En gisteren was ik in Technotrans voor een new driveshaft gezocht. I told them not to hurry and that I will come back in two weeks to pick up the new driveshaft. Dus ik zal jouw help nodig in about twee weken of zo als ik the new driveshaft hebben.

Bedankt!

(p.s. - any tips voor dit klus is welcome)

IMG_20221024_103034253.jpg

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

Ik heb een update from Technotrans vandaag. Tony will start building my driveshaft using 60mm OD tube. De originele in mijn xj is 64mm, dus een beetje kleiner maar maakt niet uit. And I'm now just welding together a small bearing press from scrap metal in mijn garage.

IMG-20221104-WA0001.jpg

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

• 2 weeks later...

Whew! De US Senate nog steeds Democratische is 👍 maar Congress niet 😒. Ah well, dit altijd de probleem is.

Anyway, gisteren heb ik een 6-point 8mm socket wrench gelast want de normal Craftsman wrench would not fit between the front driveshaft and the np231 transfer case. Dit was de enige manier (only way?) dat ik kan nadenken for me to remove the small bolts.

Slowly working to install the sye.

IMG_20221114_100554076.jpg

IMG_20221114_100530257.jpg

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

Ja! Dar zit nieuwe moeren in de pakketten van the SYE 👍. Maar ik weet niet hoe vaak de torque wrench can be used zo hoge want de 130 lb-ft spec voor de yoke nut bijna de maximal is! Maar ik heb een andere probleem.....

De bolt voor de speedometer sensor keeper cross-threaded is, denk ik 😡. It won't go further in than in the photo, and it's only halfway screwed! Ugh!

Ik zal in de tussentijd een biertje hebben while I think about this. Ik kan morgen tap a new M8 thread in the aluminium housing and use a different bolt. Wat denk jullie?

IMG_20221118_193409857_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

Sinterklaas was in de beurt 😀 dus was ik bezig met spulletjes te hangen in de dorpshuis 👍.

On 11/18/2022 at 10:17 PM, Ab said:

Why not shorten the bolt?

Ja dat dak ik ook. Maar ik was niet zeker dat the bolt was secure in the hole.

Well, problem solved! Ik heb een nieuwe M8 bolt in place of the old one. I just tapped it 20mm deep and now it's good.

Morgen front and rear driveshafts go back on 👍

IMG_20221119_220808300.jpg

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

Whew! Wat een klus. Maar is het klaar. Just need to add ATF then test drive tomorrow for about 50 miles, then change ATF.

Cost: $150 SYE kit + €400 double cardan rear driveshaft 97.6cm long and 60mm diameter. Also little bits like bolts and sockets.

Straks is regear to 4.88:1 👍

IMG_20221120_202359155.jpg

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

Hi @Kapt. Bob. The SYE is because of two things: 1) to get rid of the body shake with the 3 inch lift and 2) to prepare for bigger tires. The re-gearing is also for two reasons: 1) to also prepare for bigger tires and 2) to allow for heavier loads.

I drove the XJ to DE, PL, the Baltic states (LT, LV, EST) and on to FIN, SW, and DK last year. I had a rooftop tent and lots of camping gear. It did ok on flat land, but in the mountains  not as well. I think if I re-gear to 4.88 (currently have 4.10), the jeep can do better at overland trips and in the mountains. Right now it's ok driving in NL because it's flat here. But now I am carrying more gear when I go on trips.

in fact, I'm going ice fishing (hoping the lakes are frozen) in Sweden this christmas holiday so if I use it, it's again carrying more stuff (for the wife and kid 😉 of course). Better with lower gearing for next time, I think.

This is all my opinion. Other people will not agree with this, but this is my plan 👍.

Do you know someone or a garage that knows how to do re-gearing?

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites