Spring naar bijdragen

Rusty rocker panel repair and protection

AK47

After repairing the head gasket and getting the xj to run normally again, my wife recommended that we not register it until March to save money on insurance and road tax.

Sooo in the meantime, I'm thinking of rustproofing of the underside of the Jeep.

Last summer, I did some major rust repair of my rockers - I cut out the rusty sections and welded new material from a spare rocker panel I brought with me from the US.  I sprayed with weld through primer, then I poured Automatic Transmission Fluid inside my rocker panels to prevent rust and then sprayed with cavity wax.

Now I heard that if there is a bit of snow, the roads here are filled with salt to improve safety. What do you do for rust prevention of your undercarriage?  Spray undercoat? Or brush on undercoat?  What brand did you use?  How effective are they?

In the springtime, I plan to clean the underbody and treat with undercoat.  What do you find effective?

IMG_20180926_152539180small.jpg

IMG_20181214_152153765small.jpg

IMG_20190307_144950486small.jpg

IMG_20190309_162307234small.jpg

IMG_20190309_181412183small.jpg

IMG_20190314_143014479small.jpg

IMG_20190315_123206855small.jpg

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

Hey @Ab thanks for the tip. Which one do you use? RX10?  Do you spray it with a spray gun? Or do you brush it on? I also wonder if a liter is enough for the undercarriage.

I have the original Ziebart undercoat that is like asphalt. It is tough to remove. So I have been spraying with ATF automatic transmission fluid. This seems to work but you do have to keep up every year. It takes less than an hour.

I'm trying to decide if I should go for a longer lasting product. However I am afraid to just cover up some rust spots I did not see.

I can go over the surface with a flap disk grinder to remove what little rust there is. And then spray with undercoat.

I don't know what else to do with the frame rail except to keep spraying the insides with ATF.

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

Most off the time;

RX5 in a spray can. As base for  RX7 in hollow spaces.

RX5 as brush paint for surface, as base for RX10.

RX7 in a spray can. This is a wax like product for hollow spaces.

RX10 as brush paint for surfaces, this is a black finish.

I usualy do two layers RX5, than two layers RX7 or R10. The consumption of RX5  and RX10 is approximately 1 liter per 8 to 10 square meters.

When necessary I put some anti gravel coating on the RX10 finish.

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

Hmmm. I will take a look at the RX5/RX10 products. I like that you can brush it on the undercarriage.

How much prep did you have to do? Wire wheel, flap disk, or wire brush to get rid of as much rust as possible? I wonder if I need to spray a rust converter on first before the RX5.

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

Ik behandel eerst alles met Fertan, daarna een goede zink primer en daarna een top coating na keuze. Onder de auto is behandeld met een bitumen spray.

——

Fertan instructies die ik volg:

-eerst alles NATMAKEN met water
-aanbrengen met kwast of spuit
-na 1 uur weer alles natmaken (plantenspuit) om de werking te bevorderen
-na 12 tot 24 uur de zwarte poeder af vegen met natte spons
-alles afdrogen en het is spuit of kwast klaar

bij ernstige roest:

-eerst loszittende roest goed verwijderen met staalborstel
-en vooral na toepassing van bovenstaande behandeling de gehele behandeling nog eens herhalen (dus 2x in de fertan) dan dringt het goed door in het metaal en wel daar in de minuscule scheurtjes die elk metaaloppervlak heeft en waar roest ontstaat.

Bij zeer ernstige roest:

ontkom je niet aan stralen of glasparelen want daar kan zelfs FERTAN niet tegen op uiteraard. met de handstaalborstel kom je gewoon anders niet het onderste deel van de roestlaag terecht en FERTAN dus ook niet.

Holle ruimtes kun je in de FERTAN zetten maar als de roest ernstig is verwacht er dan niet teveel van. heb je geen andere optie omdat je er gewoon niet bij kunt. Behandel met de spuit dan 2 of zelfs 3x met FERTAN in de holle ruimtes. Tussendoor wel nat maken met water natuurlijk en telkens 12 tot 24 uur wachten met de 2e en evt. 3e behandeling.

NATMAKEN na 1 uur is HEEL belangrijk. Veel mensen vergeten dit en dan werkt het niet goed., Fertan heeft water nodig om het chemisch proces gangbaar te houden waarbij rost wordt omgezet in een zwart poeder.

——

bewerkt door Adebisi
Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

Hey @Adebisi. Bedankt voor je comment over Fertan. Ik heb niet dat product gehoord. Daar zijn YouTube video's over deze producten dat ik heb gevonden. Ik zal deze kijken sodat ik kan begrijpen wat is Fertan over 

Whew! Mijn Nederlands is niet goed! Maar ik moet probeer te praten.

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

I think we all appreciate you writing in dutch. It gets better every time! 

On this side you can find a non commercial test of several anti corrosion products. The test started about 10 years ago and the samples are monitort period. 
http://www.oldtimerautosite.nl/roest_test.htm

http://www.oldtimerautosite.nl/update_roest_test_4_maart_2019.htm

Hammerite, Brantho Korrux and Loodmenie are the best so far.

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

@AK47 Beide talen, Nederlands of Engels zijn prima! 

@Kapt. Bob Fertan komt niet als beste in de test naar voren maar ik gebruik het alleen als eerste laag om eventueel overgebleven roest in te kapselen, maar ik zie dat RX het beter doet in de test en ook goede verhalen over gelezen. Ik gebruik ook hammerite (wat ook goed in de test scoort) over de fertan en zink primer, alleen is dit niet overschilderbaar dus gebruik het alleen onder de auto. 

bewerkt door Adebisi
Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites