Spring naar bijdragen

Head gasket leak

AK47

So I pulled the distributor out again and lined up the oil pump to the 3 o'clock position. This is also the #1 plug position for this xj. Then I lined up the brass end of the distributor to the #1 position and backed off 1/8 turn counterclockwise per the FSM.  When I reinstalled the distributor this made the rotor point to the #1 plug when dully installed.

Now the Jeep cranks better than previously and doesn't sound like a misfire. But still no start.  Maybe my timing is off by 180*.  I'll try again tomorrow and see if I could correct it.

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

To my knowledge, it's fist determine compression stroke on #1 cilinder, then put piston #1 on top dead center. Rotor is now in position of #1 spark plug. Then startup and refine timing with stroboscope.

I take out the spark plugs for easy turning the engine around. Then turn the engine around with a wrench on the crankshaft. With my finger in place of the #1 spark plug I can feel when there's compression. Carefully lowering a screwdriver in the #1 cilinder gives a reading of the top dead center. 

When the rotor is way off, take out the distributor and re-allign.

Good luck!

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

@Ab, thanks for your insight. I made the mistake initially when I set TDC but did not determine if it was combustion or exhaust at cylinder #1. This is the reason why I was chasing the rabbit with the distributor. The engine didn't start because I was 180* out of sync - I had erroneously set TDC at the combustion stroke.

This morning, I set the timing to 0 then pulled the distributor out and then turned the crank one complete revolution back to TDC at 0*. This reset cylinder #1 to the combustion stroke.

And it runs!!! No leaks! I kept it running at >2000 rpms for 20 minutes to set the new lifters to the camshaft.  I will drain the oil and change the filter.  Then do this again after 500 miles (800 km).

Thanks for all your help. I hope this can be a reference for others with similar problems.

///End

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

Errata -  1) I had cylinder #1 at TDC on the exhaust stroke.  I reset to TDC on the combustion stroke to make the correction.  2) I positioned the rotor with the brass end pointing towards the #1 spark plug wire terminal, and disregarded the drawings on the FSM to point the rotor towards 6 o'clock.  This seems to work for me.  Changed oil and oil filter.  Engine idles quietly at about 900 rpm.  No noisy lifters.  See you guys on the next project!

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites