Spring naar bijdragen

Head gasket leak

AK47

Ik probeer in Nederlands te praten maar mijn Nederlands is niet zo goed want ik hier woont bijna twee en half jaar. Dus pardon mijn Engels als het is mijn moeder taal.

Als het is goed weer morgen, ik wil mijn head begint te remove the hoses.

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

15 hours ago, Arjanw said:

We will begrijp jou one way of die andere! 😂

Thanks Arjan and @JeePee for your support! I promised my son some oliebollen this afternoon for oud en nieuw so I had to stop at the fan and fan shroud, and the air box removal. Will continue after the new year. I have to find more carbide!

IMG_20191231_145919090.jpg

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

3 uur geleden zei AK47:

Thanks Arjan and @JeePee for your support! I promised my son some oliebollen this afternoon for oud en nieuw so I had to stop at the fan and fan shroud, and the air box removal. Will continue after the new year. I have to find more carbide!

IMG_20191231_145919090.jpg

Vergeet geen foto's te maken van de volgorde. Zo kan je altijd terugvinden welk boutje / slangetje waar hoort.. Ik heb dit ook gedaan en ben daar achteraf heel erg blij mee. Er zijn momenten geweest waarop ik het echt niet meer wist en de foto's waren toen echt een uitkomst..

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

2 hours ago, Ab said:

Carbidschieten en oliebollen, the Dutch way of oudjaar celebration. Geslaagd voor je inburgering! 😉

Ja! Ik woon hier met veel boeren 👍 dus we samen carbidschieten en oliebollen eten! En ik heb twee inburgering examen gedaan (three more to go). I hope to finish all my inburgering examen by next summer 🙄. But I think I will keep my American citizenship for my pension $$$! 🤫

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

I think I ate too much oliebollen! But not enough of my preferred beer (Alaska Amber). Maybe I should try brewing beer this year.

Wel, I finally have the head bolts out. It turns out that the exhaust manifold bolt nearest the radiator was too long ( a replacement when I changed my exhaust manifold 9 years ago). Anyway, this head bolt that goes through the water jacket will not be reused. In fact I have a new set of head bolts so I'll just make a couple of mounting studs from the old ones for the head reinstallation.

The disassembly so far is going smoothly. I removed the intake amd exhaust manifold bolts without problems. I am leaving one bolt in place to keep junk from falling into the manifold gap. All that's left is for the A/C to be moved and the spark plugs.

I heard some people have used brass tumbler to clean loose parts like bolts and nuts. I have an old tumbler from when I used to reload my 30.06 bullets for hunting moose (eland) and grizzly bears. I may try that, although it might be enough to run the bolts through a steel brush.

Oh, and I found that my engine has the component code "B" stamped on the block. This means my cylinder bores are 0.010 overbored from the factory (according to the 1994 FSM). I never really looked for it before but I decided to take a peek now.

So just a little bit more and I'll be bringing the head to the machine shop next week.

IMG_20200104_182429589.jpg

IMG_20200104_125528313.jpg

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

So, finally got the head out today; will clean it tomorrow and bring it to the machine shop.

I pulled the lifters and will do a close inspection. Will also talk to the machinist about the cylinders. I didn't see any obvious damage but I need to clean it first before doing an inspection.

I should remove the oil pan and clean it. But I'll wait until next week.

IMG_20200105_110324061.jpg

IMG_20200105_110242960.jpg

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

€250 voor een head job (planing, Magnaflux, valve cleaning) bij Ausma Motorenrevisie. Hmmm. Is that a good price? I think it's reasonable. I'm getting the head back on Friday. Meanwhile I have lots of cleaning and scraping to do.

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

Sooo, after careful inspection, my lifters are concave. 😒 I've now ordered a set but it will be another two weeks. 

Hmm, do I install the Powertrax No-Slip locker in my Chrysler 8.25 while I wait?  It's been sitting in its box for a year now. Anybody have good experience with this brand?

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

2 uur geleden zei AK47:

Sooo, after careful inspection, my lifters are concave. 😒 I've now ordered a set but it will be another two weeks. 

Hmm, do I install the Powertrax No-Slip locker in my Chrysler 8.25 while I wait?  It's been sitting in its box for a year now. Anybody have good experience with this brand?

If you replace the flat tappet lifters you better also replace the camshaft. Those two are married for life, if you know what I mean. 

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

39 minutes ago, Arjanw said:

If you replace the flat tappet lifters you better also replace the camshaft. Those two are married for life, if you know what I mean. 

Yep. That's on it's way here, too. Ah well, just more work. Thanks.

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

What is Nederlands voor camshaft lube? New lifters arrived!  But when i went to the auto parts store (Dabeko) in Assen, they were scratching their heads when I asked for a small tube of camshaft lube. Can someone please tell me what is Nederlands for cam lube? It is recommended for new installation of camshaft and lifters. Preferably with zink additive. Thanks!

I'm still waiting for the camshaft to arrive.

IMG_20200114_091554362.jpg

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

@stephan Bedankt voor de translation! I will ask at the parts store tomorrow. Otherwise, I can order online like you, @ronvdv, and @Arjanw suggested also.

2 hours ago, Arjanw said:

Did you also order new camshaft bearings?

I didn't order the camshaft bearings because I was trying to avoid mission creep. (When I was in the US Army, we were always dealing with mission creep - in Iraq and in Somalia - where I was deployed.) I've already allowed myself new lifters and camshaft, but I'm stopping there. You are obviously right that at 220,000 miles, perhaps my cam bearing need replacement. But I am not rebuilding yet. My mission here is to repair the head gasket and get me up and running this year until my garage is built. Then I will do the tear-down in a nice new garage.

I've looked at a couple of jeep forums and there are several schools of thought about lifter/cam combination: a) new lifters/new cam = good option. b) new lifters/old cam = okay if lobes not wiped. c) old lifters/new cam = not good.

I'm probably going to bite the bullet on another cam when the time come for the rebuild, but this is where I am now. Thanks for the input though.

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

18 uur geleden zei AK47:

@stephan Bedankt voor de translation! I will ask at the parts store tomorrow. Otherwise, I can order online like you, @ronvdv, and @Arjanw suggested also.

I didn't order the camshaft bearings because I was trying to avoid mission creep. (When I was in the US Army, we were always dealing with mission creep - in Iraq and in Somalia - where I was deployed.) I've already allowed myself new lifters and camshaft, but I'm stopping there. You are obviously right that at 220,000 miles, perhaps my cam bearing need replacement. But I am not rebuilding yet. My mission here is to repair the head gasket and get me up and running this year until my garage is built. Then I will do the tear-down in a nice new garage.

I've looked at a couple of jeep forums and there are several schools of thought about lifter/cam combination: a) new lifters/new cam = good option. b) new lifters/old cam = okay if lobes not wiped. c) old lifters/new cam = not good.

I'm probably going to bite the bullet on another cam when the time come for the rebuild, but this is where I am now. Thanks for the input though.

Okay, clear! I've also dealt with mission creep in exactly the same project as you are dealing with right now. But I've lost the struggle within and rebuilded the entire engine.... :blush:

bewerkt door Arjanw
Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

"I've lost the struggle within and rebuilded the entire engine"

Haha! Yes, we have all been there. I can't wait for the garage to be built. The groundwork starts in April (I think). In the meantime, the Jeep is sitting in my driveway and the wife is not too happy about it. So the sooner I get it out of the way, the better for my marriage 🙄.

Anyway, the camshaft arrived today, and I now have a tube of Clevite Cam Guard (€4.50 at Dabeko). The cylinder head is also back from the machine shop (€235 final cost) and ready to install. So... a bit of good weather and some time off work, then I hope to continue with the project!

Any tips on removing the condenser from behind the grill? I need some room to pull the camshaft out. I already have the radiator out but it looks like I will have to unbolt the whole front face (again). Maybe I don't need to remove the condenser.

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites