Spring naar bijdragen

engine rebuild suggestions

AK47

Hello folks,

It's good to find this Jeep forum.  I brought my 1994 XJ 2.5L petrol with me when I moved here two years ago from the US.  The XJ was with me in Alaska for 20 years and then 3 years in Minneapolis before we moved here. It has 204,000 miles (328,000 km) on the motor and it is time for a rebuild.  Does anyone have experience with a good machine shop here in Drenthe?  I am planning on reboring the cylinders and having the head checked/fixed for warping. I think I will order parts from EngineTech in the US, but am wondering if you can get reliable parts here in NL for replacing pistons, rings, cams, lifters, etc...

I also have a question on fluids.  What is a replacement for the green engine coolant that the Jeep uses (ethylene glycol) that I can buy here?  I am confused with the different coolants that I see in the store, but I don't see a straight ethylene glycol green coolant that you can buy in the US. Maybe they are colored differently here.

Mijn Nederlands is niet zo goed, mar ik kan leren.

Thanks,

Merben

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

I overheated last week in a drive back from Stuttgart with air bubbling into the coolant reservoir. So I did a cylinder compression test in my driveway today and here it is: (dry/wet) cyl #1 (90/90), #2 (110/115), #3 (95/95), #4 (80/80). This indicates to me low compression overall, and that the piston rings are likely still ok . The engine oil is also milky from the dipstick. This looks more like a blown head gasket.

So my neighbor recommended I send the head to Ausma Motorenrevisie for a head inspection and planing. They can also do a valve job. Has anyone here have any experience with engine work from Ausma?

I will pull out the head maybe in April or May. It depends when i have the time. If they do good work on the head then maybe i will send them the whole engine when it's time for the rebuild.

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

35 minuten geleden zei AK47:

I overheated last week in a drive back from Stuttgart with air bubbling into the coolant reservoir. So I did a cylinder compression test in my driveway today and here it is: (dry/wet) cyl #1 (90/90), #2 (110/115), #3 (95/95), #4 (80/80). This indicates to me low compression overall, and that the piston rings are likely still ok . The engine oil is also milky from the dipstick. This looks more like a blown head gasket.

So my neighbor recommended I send the head to Ausma Motorenrevisie for a head inspection and planing. They can also do a valve job. Has anyone here have any experience with engine work from Ausma?

I will pull out the head maybe in April or May. It depends when i have the time. If they do good work on the head then maybe i will send them the whole engine when it's time for the rebuild.

Hi AK47, An engine rebuild is very expensive. Why not exchange the engine with a low mileage engine? This is considerably cheaper than rebuilding. Parts are expensive in the Netherlands. Labour is also expensive.

If you are handy yourself it can be done by yourself. That will help to keep the cost low!

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

1 minute ago, Arjanw said:

Hi AK47, An engine rebuild is very expensive. Why not exchange the engine with a low mileage engine? This is considerably cheaper than rebuilding. Parts are expensive in the Netherlands. Labour is also expensive.

If you are handy yourself it can be done by yourself. That will help to keep the cost low!

Yes, I thought about rebuilding myself because I have most tools and plan to have a few trips to my brother in Florida. I will have the motor open when i have the head out for inspection in April or May. Then i can decide on what I need. I am pretty handy with tools and I expect my new garage to be finished this summer.

I have the time and this is a long term project for me so no worries. I like to work on this simple engine and like to know that I put things in it myself. It's a hobby.

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

12 minuten geleden zei AK47:

Yes, I thought about rebuilding myself because I have most tools and plan to have a few trips to my brother in Florida. I will have the motor open when i have the head out for inspection in April or May. Then i can decide on what I need. I am pretty handy with tools and I expect my new garage to be finished this summer.

I have the time and this is a long term project for me so no worries. I like to work on this simple engine and like to know that I put things in it myself. It's a hobby.

Okay! See my project regarding the rebuild of my 4.0. 

It's in Dutch but Google translate is your friend!

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

1 hour ago, Arjanw said:

Okay! See my project regarding the rebuild of my 4.0. 

It's in Dutch but Google translate is your friend!

Hay Arjan. Thanks for the link! I browsed quickly through it and it looks like you dis a good job. I'm also planning to have my cylinders rebored .0030" over, but I will wait until I have the head off to see what condition the block is in. I have all the Felpro gaskets I need for the head gasket replacement, plus a new set of head bolts. I'll check out your link again when i am closer to doing this. I have the 1994 FSM so I'll go with that manual.

I installed new exhaust manifold, water pump and fan clutch, timing chain, harmonic balancer, and water hoses in the last 3 years. So I should be good with those. And I have a new clutch set still in the box waiting to be installed.

It's a hobby. I welded and painted new rocker panels on both sides of the jeep last summer. Why is there so much salt in the roads here in the winter? It just makes things rust!

Anyway, have a merry Christmas everyone. Thanks for welcoming me here in the forum.

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites